Vacation Bible Camp
FAQs for Workers
1. What is the deadline to sign-up to serve? In order to make our staffing plans, we ask that helpers sign up by May 15; however, we will continue to accept helper sign-ups past that date if we still have staffing needs.
2. Do I have to be a Parkside member to help at Vacation Bible Camp? We do require that preschool room leaders be members; however, we need over 150 helpers at VBC who do not have to be members. We ask that you have been attending regularly for a minimum of six months. All adult helpers (18+ years of age) are required to complete a Background Security Check to serve at VBC.
3. I would like to help, but I have a child younger than four years old. Is there childcare provided? Childcare is provided for children younger than four years of age for helpers’ children only. We provide nursery care for children birth-2 years old and a mini-VBC program for children who are 2-3 years of age.
4. I would like to help, but I can’t be there for all 5 days. Is there a place for me to serve? Yes! We need helpers to staff our Mini-VBC team (daily, all five days not required) and Crafts team (M-Th). We also need helpers to set up on the Sunday night preceding VBC (following the evening service) and to clean up on Friday at the conclusion of VBC (noon). We are also looking for prayer partners who can’t serve during the week but who would commit to praying for this week.
5. I would like to serve with my child’s group. Is this possible? While we cannot guarantee parent/child requests, we do our best to accommodate these requests.
6. Will I receive any training prior to the start of VBC? Yes, we provide orientation meetings for most of our VBC departments (small group leaders, Recreation, Mini-VBC, Youth). You will be notified about the meetings.
7. Are we expected to purchase a VBC T-shirt if we are serving? No, this is not necessary, though you are welcome to do so if you would like.
8. My teenager would like to serve. Are there any special requirements? We need approximately 100 youth helpers, 6th grade (completed) and older. The only requirements we have are that youth helpers have servants’ hearts, a love for Christ and kids, and attend a mandatory youth orientation meeting in June. Youth helpers must have a Parkside adult contact we can call if needed.
9. My teenager would like to serve with a friend. Is this allowed? We assign youth helpers in areas of greatest need and do not guarantee that they will be able to serve with their friends. In some cases, we find that when teens serve with friends, it can be a distraction and not be helpful to the ministry. We encourage a spirit of servanthood regardless of whether or not friends are placed together.
10. How can I find out more about the various helper roles at VBC? Check out our Job Descriptions. You’ll find details about all of the areas of ministry during the week of Vacation Bible Camp.